Think Joint problems only affect the older generation? Wrong! While joint problems are common among older people, everyone can experience joint pain or joint related issues. Preventative and ongoing joint care is crucial to maintaining a healthy body. Check out these 6 tips for maintaining healthy joints.
1. Get Moving. There is a common misconception that movement will make already painful joints worse, but low impact movement actually helps to ease stiff joints! Low impact activities like walking, swimming, or tai chi are great ways to keep joints moving and healthy.
2. Maintain Ideal Weight. Excess weight adds stress to joints, especially the knees. Even being 10 pounds overweight weight can add 30-60 pounds of pressure on the knees. Consult your doctor to determine your healthy weight.
3. Quit Smoking. Did you know smoking increases the risk for Osteoporosis? Osteoporosis is a condition where bones weaken due to low bone density and are more likely to fracture. Joints are the connecting pieces between bones; weak bones do not support strong joints. Keep your bones and joints strong and healthy by kicking the habit.
4. Supplements and Diet. Vitamin D and Calcium both encourage strong bones and bone density. Strong bones DO support strong joints. Foods like milk, cheese, salmon, beans and lentils are good natural sources of both calcium and Vitamin D. Concerned your diet isn’t providing enough Vitamin D and/or calcium? A good supplement will also do the trick.
5. Increase Flexibility. Increasing your range of motion can alleviate stiffness and inflammation in the joints. These basic exercises are a great way to get started if you are new to stretching. Always consult with your doctor first when starting a new fitness routine.
6. Proper Equipment. Wear supportive footwear during exercise, no matter what type of exercise you are doing. Check out some of the top rated shoes here. Injured? Brace yourself! Wear supportive braces while active. Listen to your body and don’t over do it.